Maybe you’ve heard that 50 is the new 40, 40 is the new 30 which is the new 20, etc. Want to live this way? Being more youthful depends on several things: the way you feel, the way you look and perhaps most important, the way you think you feel and look. That’s a mouthful but look at these suggestions
The way you feel affects how you age
The most concrete way of staying young is feeling healthy inside and out. Here are some ways to feel young:
- Nutrition: Remember, the skin is the body’s largest organ, so taking care of it from the inside is important. Eat a diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, a moderate amount of low-fat proteins, some whole grains daily and a minimum intake of processed foods. As an anti-inflammatory and skin protector, add some Omega-3 rich foods, such as fish, walnuts, avocados, etc., to your menu.
- Sleep and Stress: Get plenty of the former and reduce the latter. It’s not always easy but reducing stress and getting plenty of rest are important parts of feeling good.
- Smoking: Statistics clearly tell us of the dramatic health risks associated with smoking but did you know you can expect dull, discolored skin with loss of elasticity that manifests deeper wrinkles. Yikes!
The way your skin looks affects how you age
When guessing someone’s age, we usually look at their face first. So what does our face show others? Some factors we have from birth and they can’t be changed, like genetics and skin color. Focus on things you can change:
- Sun exposure: UV rays, brought to us by the sun, breakdown collagen and elastin which promotes wrinkles. To combat this, become an everyday sunscreen user. Choosing a moisturizing sunscreen such as Image Skincare’s Daily Defense collection combines efforts for young-looking skin.
- Repeated facial expressions: Facial wrinkles begin with facial expressions and those that are repeated daily bring about more wrinkles. It may sound silly but give your face a break with a short pause to de-stress and even try on some new expressions. Use Image Skincare’s Max line with argireline, a Botox®-like element that relaxes and can reverse facial wrinkles.
The way you think you feel and look affects how you age
Do you cringe when someone asks your age? Before it happens again, picture yourself at an age that represents youthfulness and vitality. Visualize yourself that age, and work towards it!
Then, the next time somebody inquires your age, ask back, “What age do you think I am?” That’ll bring powerful feedback! Whatever they answer, just smile and say, “Close”. If they’ve chosen your “decided age,” keep up the good work! If not, think again about your skin and what more you can do to improve it.